• McKinney - Vento Homeless Assistance Act

    Information for Parents and Students/ Información para Padres y Estudiantes


    The school district shall provide an educational environment that treats all students with dignity and respect. Every homeless student shall have access to the same free and appropriate educational opportunities as students who are not homeless. This commitment to the educational rights of homeless children, youth, and unaccompanied youth applies to all services, programs, and activities provided or made available.

    A student may be considered eligible for services as a "Homeless Child or Youth" under the McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act if he or she is presently living:

    • In a shelter, temporary shared housing, or transitional living program
    • In a hotel/motel, campground, or similar situation due to lack of alternatives
    • In a bus station, park, car, or abandoned building
    • In temporary or transitional foster care placement

    According to the McKinney-Vento Assistance Homeless Act, eligible students have rights to:

    • Immediate enrollment: Documentation and immunization records cannot serve as a barrier to the enrollment in school.
    • School Selection: McKinney-Vento eligible students have a right to select from the following schools:
      • The school he/she attended when permanently housed (School of Origin)
      • The school in which he/she was last enrolled (School of Origin)
      • The school in the attendance area in which the student currently resides (School of Residency)
    • Remain enrolled in his/her selected school for the duration of homelessness, or until the academic year upon which they are permanently housed.
    • Participate in programs for which they are eligible, including Title I, National School Lunch Program, Head Start, Even Start, etc.
    • Transportation Services: A McKinney-Vento eligible student attending his/her School of Origin has a right to transportation to and from the School of Origin.
    • Dispute Resolution: If you disagree with school officials about enrollment, transportation, or fair treatment of a homeless child or youth, you may file a complaint with the school district. The school district must respond and attempt to resolve it quickly. During the dispute, the student must be immediately enrolled in the school and provided transportation until the matter is resolved. The Homeless Liaison will assist you in making decision, providing notice of any appeal process, and filling out dispute forms.

    For more information, refer to http://www.azed.gov/homeless/ or if you need assistance from Balsz District, call 602-629-6836.