Dr. Jeffrey J. Smith is retiring as Superintendent of the Balsz School District at the end of the 2019/2020 school year and the Governing Board has begun the process to search for a new Superintendent. Below is the timeline of the process:
Superintendent Search Timeline:
- At the January 14, 2020 Board Meeting, the Governing Board approved Ray & Associates as the consultants for the Superintendent Search.
- At the February 10, 2020 Board Study Session, the Governing Board was introduced to the consultants from Ray & Associates (Dr. Barbara Goodwin and Dr. Thomas Williams) who explained the process and timeline of the Superintendent Search.
- At the February 11, 2020 Board Meeting, the Board approved the proposed salary range for the Superintendent.
- February 14 – 28, 2020 an online survey was available for all stakeholders to give input on their desired qualifications of the Superintendent.
- On February 26, 2020, Community, Employee, Parent and Student Focus Groups met with consultants from Ray & Associates to gather input surrounding the desired qualities of the superintendent. The consultants gathered survey results and input from the Board and focus groups to create the promotional recruiting flyer.
- At the March 3, 2020 Board Meeting, the Board approved the recruiting flyer presented by Ray & Associates. Interested candidates may apply online at www.rayassoc.com, please do not contact the Board or District directly.
- In the months of March and April 2020, the consultants will advertise and begin reviewing applications.
- In April through early May 2020, the Board will review applications and select semi-finalists to introduce to the community at a public meeting (date, time and location to be determined).
- In May, the Board will interview the semifinalists and select a new Superintendent of the Balsz School District.
The Balsz School District's Governing Board consists of five elected volunteer community members who serve a four-year term in non-partisan elections to represent the residents within the District's boundaries. The Governing Board plays a critical role in the formulation and approval of policies that guide the operation of the district. Board candidates must reside within the District boundaries for one year prior to being elected to office. Arizona law does not limit the number of terms a member can serve.
2019-2020 Board Meetings
Public Notice Regarding Governing Board Meetings During Closure
March 18, 2020
Effective immediately (March 18, 2020) and until further notice, the Balsz Elementary School District Governing Board will be enforcing the Center for Disease Control’s health precautionary recommendation limiting all public gatherings to ten (10) people. The Balsz District is currently closed and Board Meetings will be online/telephonic with Governing Board members and district administrators participating remotely. Public comments will be suspended on the agenda (reference: Arizona Attorney General’s Office Opinion dated March 13, 2020 RE: Concerns Relating to Arizona’s Open Meeting Law and COVID-19).
Future agendas will have details on how the public can access the meeting online.
The 2019-2020 Board Meetings will be held on the second Tuesday of every month at 6:30 p.m. in the Balsz School District Governing Board Room unless otherwise noted (*).
- August 13, 2019
- September 10, 2019
- October 1, 2019 (due to fall break)*
- October 15, 2019 Special Board Meeting/Study Session at Crockett Elementary School (6:00 p.m. start time)
- October 29, 2019 Executive Session
- November 12, 2019
- December 10, 2019
- January 14, 2020 (due to winter break)*
- * February 10, 2020 Special Meeting / Study Session at 1101 North 44th Street (5:00 p.m. start time)
- February 11, 2020
- * February 28, 2020 Board Executive Session at the Balsz Community Center (8:30 a.m. start time)
- March 3, 2020 (due to spring break)*
- * March 19, 2020 Emergency Board meeting (10:00 a.m. start time) virtual meeting
- Canceled: March 24, 2020 Special Board Meeting/Study Session at the Balsz Community Center (6:00 p.m. start time)
- April 14, 2020
- May 12, 2020
- June 9, 2020
- June 30, 2020 Public Hearing at 6:00 p.m. (Special Board Meeting will follow Public Hearing)*
Posting of Governing Board Agendas:
Governing Board Agendas are posted in the display case on the fence by the entrance of the District Office Building located at 4825 East Roosevelt Street, Phoenix, AZ 85008 and on the website at www.balsz.org/agenda. Except in the case of an emergency, the agenda shall be available to the public at least twenty-four (24) hours prior to the meeting. If you are in need of special accommodations, including translation services, please call the Superintendent's Office at 602.629.6410.
Balsz School District Anti-Hate Resolution was adopted at the January 10, 2017 Governing Board Meeting.Balsz School District Resolution Opposing Expansion of Education Savings Accounts (SB1431) was adopted at the June 6, 2017 Governing Board Meeting.Balsz School District Campuses as Safe Zones and Resource Centers for Students and Families (Resolution) was adopted at the September 5, 2017 Governing Board Meeting.Balsz School District Governing Board Resolution Supporting Educators was adopted at the May 1, 2018 Governing Board Meeting.Balsz School District Governing Board School Safety Resolution was adopted at the June 5, 2018 Governing Board Meeting.Balsz School District Governing Board Trauma Responsive Resolution was adopted at the January 14, 2020 Governing Board Meeting.Balsz School District Governing Board Resolution in Support of a Civilian Review Board was adopted at the March 3, 2020 Governing Board Meeting.