The top priority of the Balsz Elementary School District is to ensure our students and teachers have a healthy and safe environment for learning. That’s why Superintendent Dr. Arleen Kennedy and the Balsz School District Governing Board created the Pandemic Team. The Team is funded by a grant. Their mission is to:
Identify, develop and implement programming, resources and partnerships to support Balsz students, families and faculty during the pandemic.
Meet Our Team Members
Left to right: Dr. Ann Hart, Susan Karesky, Michelle Gahee
Dr. Ann Hart is a highly experienced school administrator and education consultant
Susan Karesky is a public relations consultant with experience in healthcare
Michelle Gahee, JD, is an attorney who is an experienced policy, healthcare and media professional
October 2020 Team Highlights
Pandemic Team News
- The Pandemic Team is committed to offering guidance and resources to support & help protect Balsz schools during this pandemic.
- The team met with district administrators and community leaders to understand the impact of COVID-19 on their areas.
- The team then developed findings and recommendations from school site visits for the first phase of our Governing Board presentation.
FAQs for Balsz Parents
- How often should I wash my child’s face covering/mask?
- Masks should be washed after every day of use or if visibly dirty.
- If you have a younger child, consider writing their initials on the mask to avoid confusion or swapping.
- Store masks in a clear plastic bag and label with your child’s name.
- How can I help my child understand why they have to wear a mask?
- Talk with your child about how to correctly wear a mask.
- Explain that by wearing a mask they are protecting their family and friends.
Zip Code Update
Cases of COVID-19 continue to rise in the 85008 zip code. Balsz School District is monitoring the benchmarks for schools established by the state. You can see the latest numbers here.
There is substantial community spread of COVID-19 in Maricopa County. Please protect yourself and your family by wearing a mask, washing your hands, staying 6 feet away from people you do not live with and staying home when possible. Together we can reduce the spread of the virus.
September 2020 Team Highlights
Pandemic Team News:
- Reviewed COVID-19 policies and best practices from the Balsz School District, county and state health departments, Centers for Disease Control and school districts across the country.
- Visited all Balsz schools to see the safety precautions put in place on each campus.
FAQs for Balsz Parents
- Can my child wear a plastic face shield instead of a mask?
- No, children must wear a mask unless there is a medical reason they cannot.
- The CDC does not recommend using a face shield as a substitute for a cloth mask.
- A face shield is primarily used for eye protect for the person wearing it.
- Where can I get tested for COVID-19?
The Pandemic Team’s 3 W’s
Wear a face covering
Walk 6 feet apart
Wash your hands